HOW YOU CAN HELP PUERTO RICO
Ways to help
After Hurricane Maria and Irma struck the Caribbean islands, Puerto Rico was left devastated with consequences that may last years. Here is a list of some ways you can help the territory and the hurricane’s victims rebuild their lives again.
- United for Puerto Rico
- Center for Popular Democracy
- Hispanic Federation’s “Unidos” page
- International Medical Corps
- One America Appeal
- Catholic Relief Services
- Direct Relief
- Save the Children
- Global Giving
NOTE: Donating cash is the best way to support as the organizations can route money exactly where it’s needed. If you want direct control over where your money is going, consider donating to crowdfunded campaigns where organizations are raising money for specific causes.
- Once the situation in Puerto Rico is stabilized, they will need more on-site volunteers to help. Register to volunteer and learn more about potential volunteer opportunities.
- Looking for a place to start? - Try VOAD
SPREAD THE WORD
The storm left the territory without power and infrastructure, leaving victims the inability to actively ask for help. Using social media and urging others to help can go a long way.
- Facebook’s safety check page and Google Doc’s Person Finder can help victims and their loved ones check in with each other.
- In addition, officials in Puerto Rico are asking people to help report U.S. citizens who need emergency assistance to the State Department through its Task Force Alert program. Select “2017 Storm Maria” here.